An externally accredited level 3 course which will improve your ability to communicate with your pupils and their ability to communicate with you. Delivered as a face-to-face course (20 hours taught time) or via blended e-learning (10 hours taught time; 10 hours self-directed learning). This course is written for staff supporting children with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) in primary schools and special units. It equips them with innovative tools and methods to enhance children’s learning in the classroom and promotes quality first teaching. The course uses relevant teaching methods including practical activities, videos and group discussion to engage learners.
What does the course teach?
1. WHAT IS COMMUNICATION?
2. IMPROVING LISTENING, ATTENTION AND INDEPENDENT LEARNING SKILLS.
3. LISTENING, MEMORY AND UNDERSTANDING SPOKEN LANGUAGE.
4. MODIFYING ADULTS’ SPEECH TO HELP A CHILD UNDERSTAND LANGUAGE.
5. UNDERSTANDING BEYOND SIMPLE SENTENCES.
6. PROMOTING VOCABULARY DEVELOPMENT.
7. ENCOURAGING EXPRESSIVE LANGUAGE AND NARRATIVE DEVELOPMENT.
8. PROMOTING EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION AND SOCIAL SKILLS.
9. SUPPORTING CHILDREN WITH UNCLEAR SPEECH AND EXPLORING THE LINK BETWEEN SPEECH, READING AND WRITING
10. MANAGEMENT OF STAMMERING AND OTHER ISSUES RAISED DURING THE COURSE.
“A very well focused and excellently delivered course. I have gained valuable learning experiences that have greatly enhanced my own personal development and in return this will benefit children in my setting.”- Emer McG